Sunday, January 9, 2011

Adventures in Sewing

#1 Having never sewn a thing in my life
#2 But having a small inkling of desire...wouldn't it be nice to sew my children pajama bottoms or pillow cases or blankies 
#3 My in-laws bringing me my husband's grandmother's sewing machine
#4 Knowing it was on the way, going to Joann's on Black Friday for amazing flannel deals
#5 Husband helping me gain confidence, when I confess I feel that once I cut the beautiful material I bought, I will have ruined it
#6 Finding a great tutorial on a blog:
http://mycottoncreations.blogspot.com/2010/07/christmas-eve-pajama-pants-tutorial.html
#7 My husband helping me cut the material and thread the sewing machine (I was surprised that he was right there with me instead of leaving me to it, but shouldn't have been knowing how into tools he is and seeing how they work. Plus, he loves me and I'm sure he could tell how terrified I was)
#8 Delay. When we tried some preliminary sewing on scrap fabric, we found the machine was broken and of course, it was my husband who found the broken part, ordered it online, and fixed it for me. (Here is where I should mention that the machine is from 1973, but apparently everyone who has ever owned a PFAFF 1222 loves it and parts are readily available, because as everyone online said it is worth repairing and keeping because it is the best machine ever.)
#9 Sewing the pajama bottoms we had cut. My husband was working on the computer nearby, but cheering for me as I went and helping me when I got stuck. He even ironed cuffs for me.
#10 Cutting and sewing the next pair of pajama bottoms all by myself. Actually, he wound the bobbin for me. I haven't got that far yet. But I'm learning.


5 comments:

Erika said...

So cute! I am in exactly the same boat. You have inspired me to give my mom's machine another go.

Carol said...

Way to go Liz! I need to get some of those skills!

Anderson Family said...

I'm glad that you got it done. They look great. You should be thrilled with yourself. I sew a lot, but I'm just not brave enough to make something someone has to wear.

Liz said...

Thank you, ladies. I seriously recommend the tutorial on the blog we found. I made jammie bottoms with zero sewing experience, so I'm pretty sure anyone can do it.

Anonymous said...

Kudos.